Dubai Shines Tips to Change Your Driving Licence In Dubai
Acquiring a UAE driving license is not a difficult thing. If you have a current resident status in the UAE and you happen to be a citizen of these countries below, you would be eligible for transfer of existing driving license without taking a driving course. These countries are:
- Western European countries
- The United States of America
- Some selected countries in Asia and the Middle East
- South Africa
It is important to know that some of Dubai’s authorities may require translation letters to some documents from foreigners coming from countries such as Greece, Canada, Cyprus, Poland, Japan, and South Korea.
Tips: Check our list of official Dubai government websites
Who has to attend driving school?
If you are a citizen of those countries listed above, you don’t need to attend a driving course in Dubai for you to have your license changed. On the other hand, if you’re a citizen of other countries of the world other than those mentioned above you must undergo a driving course and a test before changing your home country driver’s license in Dubai.
Procedures for changing your home country license without driving course in Dubai
- Ensure that you have a UAE resident visa together with your international passport.
- Ensure that you have your existing home country’s driving license.
- Provide two or more recent passport sized photographs.
- Go along with raw cash for the procedures, because cheques and credit cards are not allowed.
- You would need to undergo an eye test to confirm that you have a clear vision to drive.
- Go through the Road transport Authority in Dubai for the procedure.
- In the RTA go to the driving license department and fill an application form.
- Pay for the money and wait for your new driver’s license.
- The whole processes would cost you around 350-400AED.
- Collect your existing home country driver’s license and then you are good to go.
Procedures for changing your home country license with a driving course
The procedure here would involve providing all the relevant documents required above, plus undergoing the real driving test before having your existing driver’s license changed. This usually occurs to expats residents whose countries are not allowed to simply exchange their driving license because they are not included in the list of countries who are allowed to change their driver’s license in Dubai without undergoing through a driving test.
You would undergo series of lessons about driving and traffic situations in Dubai, multiple choice exam, get assessed, and if you pass you would be issued a UAE driving license. On the other hand, if you fail the exam you would be required to retake the exam you failed in. It is important to know that this procedure also goes to Dubai nationals who have never obtained a driver’s license before.