Scams are frequent not in Dubai alone, but in everywhere. You need to be smart know who you are dealing on with before signing the lease in Dubai. One has to be careful in selecting accommodation as there is always a possibility of falling into the hands of scammers who pretend to be agents and landlords. It is for your own good to know that, today in Dubai, there are hundreds of tenants who faces eviction as a result of scams.
Tips to be free from accommodation scam in Dubai
- Check all documents and make sure they are 100% legit.
- Check with Real Estate Regulatory Agency (RERA). RERA regulates and authorizes the real estate sector in Dubai. If you are new in Dubai and don’t know how things are done when it comes to renting an apartment, then RERA is the place to go to. Be smart and protect yourself from the scammers.
- Make sure that the rental / lease contracts are registered through EJARI’s online portal. EJARI is an initiative of RERA that aims to manages the relationship between landlords and tenants and protects their rights.
- During your stay in Dubai, you will notice that property owners will increase you rent overtime. Dubai Land Department Created a service called Rent Increase Calculator to see if your rent is should be increased or not depending on the value of the properties in your area.
- In case you and the other party had a disagreement about the rent, you can always use the legal option. The Dubai Municipality’s Rent Committee is authorized by the government to settle all rental matters.
It is important to know that scams are found everywhere in the world, and Dubai is not excluded for this. Sometimes people don’t follow the right procedure because it takes more time. Be smart, protect yourself so you will not end up getting and evection notice.